Roasted Root Salad
This colourful winter salad is delicious, crunchy, warm and sweet - all at once!'
- 2 carrots
- 2 beets
- 2 parsnips
- 1 bunch kale
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 2 Tbl olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 baking tray
- 2 large bowls
- 1 large pot
- 1 chopping board
- 1 medium-sized knife
- 1 slotted spoon
- 1 clean towel
- aluminium foil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread walnut pieces on a baking tray and toast in oven until they just start to turn golden. Remove from oven, set aside and cool.
- Cut carrots and parsnips into bite sized pieces. Toss vegetable pieces in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, a pinch of salt, and some freshly-ground pepper.
- Place vegetables on the baking sheet and roast in the oven until they are tender and begin to soften. When they are ready, you should easily be able to poke them with a knife. Remove the vegetables from the oven and set aside.
- Drizzle beets with 1 tablespoon olive oil and wrap with aluminium foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast for about one hour, or until the skin of the beets peels away easily.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and slice them into wedges.
- Fill the large pot with water and pinch of salt. Bring water to a boil, and prepare a bowl of ice water. Drop kale into boiling water, and let simmer for 5 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, remove kale from boiling water and drop into ice water for 5 seconds.
- Lay kale on the clean towel and pat dry. Rip it into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss kale, beet wedges and roasted carrots and parsnips in a bowl with feta and toasted walnuts, and top with Honey Vinaigrette.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Gabriella Meyer