Cool Summer Gazpacho
Cool and refreshing, this soup is perfect for lunch on a hot summer day!
- 3 slices white bread
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbl olive oil
- 500 g tomatoes
- 1 red or green pepper
- 1 cucumber
- 1 onion
- 2 Tbl sherry vinegar
- 500mL water
- pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 chopping board
- 1 medium-sized knife
- 1 blender
- 1 large strainer
- 1 large bowl
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut one slice of bread into cubes and toast in oven until golden around the edges.
- Break the remaining slices of bread into pieces and set aside.
- Wash all vegetables and cut into large pieces, removing seeds.
- Cut 1/3 of vegetable pieces into small cubes. Set aside and reserve for garnish.
- Puree the cloves of garlic in the blender with a pinch of salt. Gradually add the olive oil, and then the pieces of bread.
- Add vegetables, a few pieces at a time, and puree until smooth.
- Pass this mixture through a sieve, and dilute with sherry vinegar and 500 mL (about 2 cups) of water.
- Rest gazpacho in refrigerator for 2 hours before serving to allow the flavours to develop.
- Before serving, stir the mixture thoroughly and season to taste with a pinch of salt and some freshly-ground black pepper.
- Serve cold with the remaining vegetable cubes and toasted cubes of bread.
Recipe courtesy of Chefs Jane Cornborough and Tyler Shedden